Brookdale Hospital Medical Center’s origins date back to 1921 when the Brownsville and East New York Hospital opened with one building housing 75 beds between Brownsville, East New York, and Canarsie.
In 1932, it was renamed Beth-El Hospital under the directorship of Jacob Rutstein and greatly expanded its facilities. It became Brookdale Hospital in 1963 and Brookdale Hospital Medical Center in 1971. In 1993, Brookdale opened the first designated long-term AIDS center in Brooklyn, later renamed the Treatment for Life Center. The Radutzky Emergency Care Pavilion was dedicated in 1982 and named a Level I Trauma Center in the same year (now it is a level II trauma center). The hospital expanded greatly in 2004 and, in 2005, became a 911 receiving Stroke Center.
In 2012, Brookdale Hospital was enlisted by the New York State Department of Health in the State's emergency response effort. In 2016, Brookdale became part of One Brooklyn Health.
Today, Brookdale is a treatment facility and academic medical center that continues to prioritize the needs of its community and provide quality medical care through its 530 acute-care beds and more than 50 specialty centers.
Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center originated in the mid-1920's as the Home for the Incurables. Between 1925 and 1968, the hospital changed names several times and continued to grow to meet the needs and demands of its community.
The hospital went from treating a couple of hundred patients to an 810-bed institution in the mid-1950s – treating and rehabilitating patients with chronic diseases. It became the nation's largest voluntary, non-sectarian hospital for chronically sick and had patients ranging in age from infants to the elderly. Additionally, the facility's Isaac Albert Institute contributed to ground breaking research on the prenatal diagnosis of Tay Sachs disease.
On May 21, 1968, the hospital changed to its current name Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center. Kingsbrook's unique range of services include a long-term care division, Rutland Nursing Home. Rutland is 466-bed adult, pediatric and young adult long-term care facility that provides on-site dialysis care, ventilator dependent treatment and subacute rehab to name a few. Kingsbrook and Rutland Nursing Home are each accredited by the Joint Commission and are members of the Greater New York Hospital Association and the Healthcare Association of New York State.
Kingsbrook is also home to the David Minkin Rehabilitation Institute; treating the most complicated neurological and musculo-skeletal conditions, the institute also is home to Brooklyn's only New York State approved Brain Injury & Coma Recovery Unit.
In 2016, it became part of One Brooklyn Health and currently serves the community through several clinic centers of excellence. Kingsbrook will soon become a Medical Village, providing post-acute, specialized ambulatory care and programs addressing social determinants of health.
Interfaith Medical Center was formed on December 31, 1982, with the merger of two large, previously independent hospitals, the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital and Medical Center in Crown Heights and St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
St. John's Episcopal and Brooklyn Jewish Hospital grew during the first half of the 20th century. They were the largest employers in Central Brooklyn at the height of their successes. In 2016, it became part of One Brooklyn Health.
Today, Interfaith has 287 beds and serves more than 11,000 inpatients each year. It has more than 200,000 outpatient and services and 50,000 emergency department visits annually. Interfaith is a teaching hospital with four graduate medical education residency programs and fellowship programs in Pulmonary Medicine, Cardiology and Gastroenterology. Interfaith continues to serve as a safety-net hospital for its surrounding community.