In 2016, One Brooklyn Health (OBH) began operating to enhance healthcare services in the communities of Central Brooklyn as a not-for-profit, tax-exempt corporation licensed under Article 28 of the Public Health Law.
OBH is the NYS Department of Health-approved co-operator of Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center, Interfaith Medical Center, and Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center. All three medical centers have long, historical ties to their communities.
We aim to preserve and enhance access to healthcare services in Brooklyn by merging the separate hospitals and their governed affiliates into a sustainable, quality integrated health system.
In January 2018, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that OBHS was awarded $664 million in capital funding from the NYS Department of Health’s Health Care Facilities Transformation Program: Kings County project. The award represents a significant part of the Governor’s groundbreaking $1.4 billion “Vital Brooklyn” initiative* to address chronic social, economic and health disparities – and transform Central Brooklyn. The funding provides OBHS with approximately:
Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center originated in the mid-1920's as the Home for the Incurables. Between 1925 and 1968, the hospital changed names several times and continued to grow to meet the needs and demands of its community.
The hospital went from treating a couple of hundred patients to an 810-bed institution in the mid-1950s – treating and rehabilitating patients with chronic diseases. It became the nation's largest voluntary, non-sectarian hospital for chronically sick and had patients ranging in age from infants to the elderly. Additionally, the facility's Isaac Albert Institute contributed to ground breaking research on the prenatal diagnosis of Tay Sachs disease.
On May 21, 1968, the hospital changed to its current name Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center. Kingsbrook's unique range of services include a long-term care division, Rutland Nursing Home. Rutland is 466-bed adult, pediatric and young adult long-term care facility that provides on-site dialysis care, ventilator dependent treatment and subacute rehab to name a few. Kingsbrook and Rutland Nursing Home are each accredited by the Joint Commission and are members of the Greater New York Hospital Association and the Healthcare Association of New York State.
Kingsbrook is also home to the David Minkin Rehabilitation Institute; treating the most complicated neurological and musculo-skeletal conditions, the institute also is home to Brooklyn's only New York State approved Brain Injury & Coma Recovery Unit.
In 2016, it became part of One Brooklyn Health and currently serves the community through several clinic centers of excellence. Kingsbrook will soon become a Medical Village, providing post-acute, specialized ambulatory care and programs addressing social determinants of health.
Brookdale Hospital Medical Center’s origins date back to 1921 when the Brownsville and East New York Hospital opened with one building housing 75 beds between Brownsville, East New York, and Canarsie.
In 1932, it was renamed Beth-El Hospital under the directorship of Jacob Rutstein and greatly expanded its facilities. It became Brookdale Hospital in 1963 and Brookdale Hospital Medical Center in 1971. In 1993, Brookdale opened the first designated long-term AIDS center in Brooklyn, later renamed the Treatment for Life Center. The Radutzky Emergency Care Pavilion was dedicated in 1982 and named a Level I Trauma Center in the same year (now it is a level II trauma center). The hospital expanded greatly in 2004 and, in 2005, became a 911 receiving Stroke Center.
In 2012, Brookdale Hospital was enlisted by the New York State Department of Health in the State's emergency response effort. In 2016, Brookdale became part of One Brooklyn Health.
Today, Brookdale is a treatment facility and academic medical center that continues to prioritize the needs of its community and provide quality medical care through its 530 acute-care beds and more than 50 specialty centers.
Interfaith Medical Center was formed on December 31, 1982, with the merger of two large, previously independent hospitals, the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital and Medical Center in Crown Heights and St. John's Episcopal Hospital in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
St. John's Episcopal and Brooklyn Jewish Hospital grew during the first half of the 20th century. They were the largest employers in Central Brooklyn at the height of their successes. In 2016, it became part of One Brooklyn Health.
Today, Interfaith has 287 beds and serves more than 11,000 inpatients each year. It has more than 200,000 outpatient and services and 50,000 emergency department visits annually. Interfaith is a teaching hospital with four graduate medical education residency programs and fellowship programs in Pulmonary Medicine, Cardiology and Gastroenterology. Interfaith continues to serve as a safety-net hospital for its surrounding community.